You can install MetaTrader 4 on Mac OS via a free software application PlayOnMac. PlayOnMac is a tool that helps Mac users easily install and run applications that were originally designed to work in Microsoft Windows via Wine. Wine works as a front-end. Please be aware that Wine, like much freeware, does not guarantee absolute stability. Some functions in applications that you run under it may not work correctly or the application may fail to work.
How to install PlayOnMac
To install PlayOnMac:
Go to the developer website and download the latest version of PlayOnMac from the Download section.
Launch the DMG package from the Downloads section of your system.
Once you launch the program, a window will appear. Click Next to start the installation process and check if your system has all the necessary components.
- The first component that PlayOnMac will install is XQuartz. This is a necessary software for using the X Window System on Mac OS.
If you already have XQuartz, then click "I've downloaded the file by myself", or if you want to install it later, choose "Don't install XQuartz for the moment" Click Next.
- XQuartz is installed in several steps. Read the 'information-to-users' (Introduction, Read Me) and accept the license conditions.
- Confirm the installation by entering your Mac credentials.
Click Install Software.
- Wait for the installation process to complete, close the process, and then restart your PC.
After restarting the system, run PlayOnMac again. The program will prompt you to install the MS Windows fonts (unless you have them). Please install the fonts if necessary.
- As soon as the PlayOnMac main window appears, it's ready for use.
Note: When you install PlayOnMac, Wine is installed automatically. Wine can be updated to the latest (beta) version. To do this, please open the PlayOnMac upper menu and select "Manage Wine Versions".
How to install MetaTrader 4
To install PlayOnMac:
- Download the distribution package. After the download is complete, launch the setup file. PlayOnMac will be used automatically to open it.
Enter the name of the program.
PlayOnMac creates a separate virtual logical drive for each installed program. The default path of the terminal's data folder is:
Library\PlayOnMac\WinePrefix\MetaTrader_4_\Drive C\Program Files\MetaTrader 4
The installation will go through a number of steps, including the compulsory acceptance accept of the license conditions.
Wait for the installation process to complete.
- When the installation is complete, PlayOnMac will prompt you to create shortcuts for the MetaTrader trading terminal and the MetaEditor: (terminal.exe) and (metaeditor.exe) respectively.
- Now you can use MetaTrader on your Mac. Double-click the terminal shortcut in the PlayOnMac window to launch the application.